S A G E A D V I C E
- If you want to build a masterpiece, you must first master the pieces – Approach your preparations for promotion in small easy steps. Build your wall of content knowledge and presentation skill one brick at a time. Content…Delivery…Technique.
- Waiting to prepare for your oral interview until AFTER your written examination is a recipe for failure.
- Oral Interview Mistake: We study what we need to know, but we don’t practice delivering what we have learned. You have to talk aloud during your interview, so why do you study internally and in silence?
- Most of us only formally promote 1-2 times in a 30-year career!! If you are going to take the test…GO FOR IT! Treat this like an Olympic event and don’t leave anything on the shelf. Your goal is #1 and everyone else who would dare compete against you can fight for the crumbs you leave behind. that is the tude you need to cop.
- Never worry about the price to attend promotion training or the expense of a promotion book; worry about the COST of not attending that training or reading that book.
- Two books that are a must read for every law enforcement professional at any rank: Challenging the Law Enforcement Organization – Proactive Leadership Strategies by Jack E. Enter, Ph.D. and Emotional Survival for Law Enforcement – A Guide for Officers and Their Families by Kevin M. Gilmartin, Ph.D.
R E S O U R C E S
Police Promote has partnered with Marin Consulting Associates to bring Oral Interview Dynamics to Northern California. Please check out the Marin Consulting Associate’s web site for great courses that could serve as a valuable preparation for career advancement at any rank! They have video training that features recorded oral interviews in their TOP SPOT section that allow promotional candidates to actually view what good looks like and just as important, what bad looks like. This is a valuable and unique tool for preparation!
Police Promote recommends Rick Michelson, owner of KSA for the best training in Assessment Center Testing. Rick has several seminars per year and if you will be participating in an assessment center, this training is highly valuable. Rick also has a book available called, Assessment Centers for Public Safety.
Check us out on Linkedin…the world’s largest professional network with more than 562 million users in more than 200 countries and territories worldwide.
Policetraining.net is dedicated to providing the most complete listing of law enforcement classes and seminars available. We provide timely and accurate information about police seminars, conferences, continuing education and training events. We utilize the power of the Internet to reach a large audience of law enforcement professionals seeking training.
LawTech Publishing Group (formerly QWIK-CODE™ Publications) was established in 1980 by Glenn Hollister, a veteran California law enforcement officer whose career background included corrections, patrol, investigations, education and training. LawTech has served law enforcement with a great catalog of books and materials on many subjects to enhance, educate, and benefit law enforcement professionals.
TED TALKS: If you have not experienced TED Talks videos, you have been missing out. Start by joining over 52,000,000 people who have viewed a video called, “Do Schools Kill Creativity” by the brilliant Ken Robinson and gain incredible insight into creativity and learning. This web site offers insight into Technology, Science, Design, Business, Collaboration, Innovation, Social Health, Change, Nature, The Environment, The Future, Communication, Activism, Child Development, Personal Growth, Humanity, Society, Identity, and Community to name a few.
At Embassy Consulting Services, we are committed to developing and maintaining safe and respectful communities and organizations. Embassy fulfills this mission by offering workplace investigations and a variety of customized training programs that provide participants the opportunity to strengthen relationships and skills with the goal to improve the quality of their workplace or school environment.
A R T I C L E S B Y A N D Y B O R R E L L O
PoliceOne.com Book Excerpt: Police Promotion Oral Interview
Download a my FREE Succession Development Plan from PoliceOne.com
Illustrative Speaking in Your Promotional Oral Interview
Preparing for the Oral Interview
20 Ways to Lose Points in Your Promotional Oral Interview
Managing Risk for Non-Risk Managers: Practical Perspectives for Police Professionals
Five Rules to Follow When Preparing for Promotion
Communication Ineffectiveness: Pretext Justification
Tips for Your Police Promotional Resume
The Police Promotional Oral Interview: Pieces of a Model Answer